11/10/2013

ST Session September 11th - A Monster or a Wonder Horse?

I visited Karina in the pasture and this time she wasn't really happy to see me. Something must have changed in the herd hierarchy or Karina is just going to be soon in heat, and that was the cause of her dislike to being touched. I worked later on that and I set our two-headed herd hierarchy back in place, but at first it wasn't nice as she was pinning her ears back at me. Leading and changing directions even while grazing seems to work well when it comes to setting the hierarchy right. Karina understood that really quickly and she soon was grazing keeping her distance from me and holding her ears nice and relaxed.
Our ST training again was short and I admit that after that I was pretty confused. I'm not sure what I should do next, but maybe some idea will occur to me before I go to the stable next time. I worked with Karina this time with her stable halter, I didn't even use the rope one, and it seems to be working as well now. She just understands now what I want and she offers me that. I started to work on lateral bending and I'm not entirely sure if it worked just as it should. I placed Karina near the wall to prevent her from falling out on her outside hind leg. She bent in the neck easily, but I failed to observe if her inner hip came a little forward. That is very important, because, as I have mentioned in some previous posts, this would mean that she is ready to move on to work in walk. But now that I think of it, it seems to me that she is ready and that in a standstill we have no more to do and should be moving forward. Even though she may be falling out on her outside hind leg at first (and I'm pretty sure that it is what will happen). I think that a support from a wall might be a great help at first.
It may be that I don't have enough faith in Karina's abilities, but she is progressing in the ST far quicker than I imagined. Maybe I do her an injustice, because from the beginning I knew that she was learning fast - too fast sometimes and she gets bored easily. Most of the times one, two repetitions of an exercise are more than enough. While working with Karina, it is very important to have a lots of ideas and to be a little ahead of her all the time, because otherwise she'll take the control. Everybody who has worked with her and ignored my advices, soon told me, that this horse is a monster, a hopeless case, and that they have never seen a horse so mean and bad-behaving. And poor Karina just felt offended that somebody thought her to be an imbecile who needs thousands of repetitions. Yes, yes, that is no mistake - she is unbelievably ambitious and proud of her brains. And that is, as I have noticed many a time, entirely justified - she is a wonder horse in any way...
But anyway, the ST is in the beginning a mostly physical thing (though relaxation in the body causes relaxation in the mind) and that's why I needed Karina to repeat it so many times. I broke the exercises into parts to keep her interest in this work and at the same time I challenged her a little with teaching her some simple horse tricks. Because if she would get bored, nothing on Earth, not even a carrot, would make her do that again. And having considered all that, I think it is time to move on to work in walk...
As to the horse tricks, I changed the method a little and it seems to work not so well. Perhaps I would have done best by keeping to the previous one. Anyway, that is easily repaired I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment