16/10/2013

Cavesson for the First Time - September 22nd

It stopped raining, and all the horses were in the pasture again. The grass is becoming worse and worse, but they use it while they still can. They have started to change their coat. Autumn is coming...
I took Karina along with other horse from the pasture, so I cannot really say that she followed me, because she might have been following her mate. I groomed her as usual, and at that time she played with her lead rope, pulling at it with her teeth. This is her new habit and I can't tell for the moment what does it mean. Is she angry, bored, frustrated, impatient or just playful? Sometimes it seems to me that she is irritated or impatient, because she paws the ground with her front leg. That habit seemed to be gone, and recently it returned, I can't really tell why. Anyway, this time she quickly stopped doing that, because I introduced cavesson to her and she was curious what it was. I showed her how it worked, and at first she tried to force its pressure, but she quickly realised that I wanted her to lower her head. Karina knows that when I put my fingers to her poll I'm asking her to lower her head. I used that reaction to explain to her how cavesson works. And I must admit that it is a wonderful tool. It prevents the horse from tilting its head sideways, it keeps the head perfectly straight. While using the rope halter I had to be extremely careful with the head position. Cavesson saves me that trouble.
I had to remind Karina, that if I'm asking her to lower her head, she must remain thus until I ask her to lift the head. It works now worse than in the previous training, but I'm not worried about that, because Karina must get used to the cavesson and different work routine. Anyway, about the training: I overdid it. Karina offered me much and I failed to see when I passed her limits. I pushed her too far. I'm afraid that next time she won't be that eager to train. I failed to pay enough attention to every detail. However, this is our first real ST session and I could hardly have hoped to succeed at every point. Fortunately, this time I had camera with me, so I can watch the training video and analyze it thoroughly. I also compared this video with some of Marijke's – especially those with Prince Elmelund. They are mighty inspiring, because they show the complete beginnings of ST. Prince, however, was at that time an unbroken horse, while Karina has had a lot of bad training in the previous years. She has a lot of bad habits and it will take much time to repair it by slowly rebalancing her and making her carry herself with ease and grace. I know that she has it in her, and it is my task to make her realise it.
It was really hard for Karina to start moving in a totally different way. She stayed focused and paid a lot of attention to my directions. That was so sweet of her, she is such a willing and obedient horse. In the last two minutes of training she could focus no more and I have noticed that, but unfortunately not quick enough. Analyzing our video further, I have also noticed that I should really pay much more attention to the inside hind leg movement – Karina tends to place her leg just beside her body, not underneath her point of weight. I kept on touching her obliquus abdominis muscle with my riding whip, and it worked great – she started putting her leg more towards her weight point, but now it seems to me that I was not precise and persistent enough. Sometimes I touched her hind leg joints, to show Karina that I wanted her to close her joints more. Though we worked in a standstill and walk only, the training was indeed hard and Karina was tired in the end. And mentally she was just exhausted. I have to work more on my attention to such details, I have to notice such things immediately. I want Karina to be interested and focused on what we are doing, and under no circumstances I want to force her to do anything. I wish I could train more often, but at present I can't. That is the cause why I'm trying to squeeze out of every minute of training all I can. Five minutes up to three, four times a week is so little... But I really need to chill out a bit.
It seemed to me after the training, that I asked too much of Karina, when I asked stelling on a small circle. I worked much more on a big circle (and again I've made a mistake there – I shouldn't work so close to the fence, because the horse may be reluctant to bend) And when I watched Marijke's videos, I have noticed that it was all right. Karina now and then tries to avoid bending her body as asked, and sometimes she walks sideways, keeping her body perfectly straight (or at least as straight as her crookedness allows). She tends to fall on her inside shoulder (more on the right side), but now I think that I know how to prevent it...
After the training I took Karina for a walk through the fields. I worked a little on lowering her head, leading, stopping and backing up. Then we went to see the tent which recently was built up in the stableyard. Karina seemed to be really interested in it, she peeped curiously inside it. Then I gave her a massage of neck muscles, which she seemed not to like (I must stop doing massage for some time, as she seems not to be very happy with any kind of massage, even that with her plastic brush, which she always enjoyed). Then I washed her legs, and for the first time she was completely relaxed during that procedure.
At last I took her to a place where the grass is always greener than in the pasture ;) A couple of minutes grazing and away she went to join her herd.
Finally, as to the the photos: in the three of them you see Karina doing LFS on a circle for the first time. In the first picture, you see Karina trying to bend her body laterally. She is stepping under her point of mass with her inner hind leg, she is keeping her head pretty low and forward. She is leaning very much on me, and is not on her own legs yet. In the second photo Karina is resisting the cavesson pressure, as you may notice – her upper neck muscles are very tense. But soon she yielded to that pressure and she released the muscle tension and lowered her head, allowed it to just hang freely on the nuchal ligament. And in the third photo there is Karina dragging her feet behind her, just after a couple of minutes of ST. That showed me how hard work it is for a horse to change long years habits, to change her way of moving. And may I always keep that in mind, before I ask Karina to do more...

No comments:

Post a Comment