07/10/2013

First Straightness Training Session - September 6th

Well, now I'll tell you about our first ST session. Karina welcomed me rather warmly and she did't insist on staying in the pasture, as is our custom when I come to her. I don't just take her on a lead rope and take her away, but I usually spend some time with her. I wave away the flies as she's grazing and I scratch her. But this time she didn't want to graze, she almost pulled me towards the gate. She obviously was pretty anxious to know what we are going to do this time and I think that she missed me a little, because I was absent for four or five days.
Our first ST session was short. There were lots of people in the stable, which is not a normal state there, and Karina was a little nervous. I groomed her just as usual, then I put a saddle on her, without even fastening the girth - she actually hadn't been ridden for months, and I just wanted to remind her saddling and see how she'll react to some weight on her back. She took it all calmly, she swished her tail only once - when I was manipulating with the stirrups. Then I took the saddle away and I washed Karina's legs. She does't like washing much (except on a hot day), but she tolerates it. Then I took her for a short walk, during which I reminded her the exercises she already knew (leading, stopping and backing up), and after that I introduced to her the exercise forward-down. I was not entirely sure if this was the right succession of exercises, because the actual LFS starts with lateral bending of the horse's body, but as Marijke says, the horse with extremely stiff and contracted back muscles (of which I suspect Karina) should first do the forward-down exercise. Those exercises actually cannot be done one without other, because they won't work just as they are supposed to, and it is in fact hard to say which should go first. Karina answered well to the pressure of rope halter (I have ordered her a cavesson, but it hasn't arrived yet), but she seemed a little confused. She searched for a carrot, because I trained with her before some carrot stretches and she was disappointed that now there was no carrot. Of course she did get one just as soon as she responded to the halter. After the forward-down exercise I proceeded very cautiously with the so-called 'stelling'. I have made a mistake though, because I should have placed her next to the wall, to show her that for the moment I want her to bend in the neck only. And it was really tough for her - when she bent the neck, she stepped to the side with outside hind leg. It showed me how stiff and contracted her muscles were, and at that moment I had a feeling that I pushed her too far. According to Marijke, as soon as the horse accepts the stelling, it will bend through the entire body and move the inside hip forward, thus completing the LFS with the third element - stepping under the point of mass. It seemed to me that working on LFS will take us a long time, and it will take at least a couple of sessions of working in a standstill and in a standstill only. Karina must relax her muscles more before we move on to work in walk.
After the session, which took us some 3 minutes, I massaged Karina's neck and back. A couple of months ago I completed an equine massage course, so I know a little about a sport massage and can support my horse's training with it. Despite throngs of people moving here and there Karina took the massage well and she relaxed. When I massaged right side of her neck (the splenus capitis muscle), she released the tension and yawned some six or seven times. She seldom yawns at all, so that showed me how big was the stress she was in, though the session was so short and I was really gentle and I didn't ask much bending. And I know how careful with lateral bending of the neck you have to be not to hurt the horse by damaging laryngal nerves. When I thought about all that, it seemed to me that I was going to fast with all that training and had to slow down, but...
Of course after the session I took Karina on a halter to graze round the stable. I don't always do that, because I don't want Karina to force me to go somewhere everytime, but most of the times I take her to graze on the best grass that I can find. This gives me an opportunity to work on our relations. I noticed that she entirely trusts me to watch the surroundings, just as a leader should, and she just calmly grazes, and nothing disturbs her, no matter what is going on around - as long as I don't pay attention, she does not pay attention either. It can be an express train passing by, or a barking dog, or a roe-deer walking through the bushes - nothing seems to be dangerous as long as I'm on the watch. And this is an enormous improvement, because in the previous stable she was scared by every noise in the bushes. Fortunately, although she spent over a year there, she didn't learn to flee in panic, as other horses in that stable did. It was funny to see, because when the herd fled, Karina came after it in a lazy trot, looking around in surprise, searching for that terrifying object, which scared her mates. Now it seems that she isn't paying much attention to sudden noises in the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment